Health & Safety Group Leader - Operations | IKEA | Sharjah, UAE
About Al-Futtaim Private Company LLC
No two days are the same at Al-Futtaim, no matter what role you have. Our work is driven by the desire to make a difference and to have a meaningful impact with the goal of enriching everyday lives. Take our engaging and supportive work environment and couple it with a company culture that recognises and rewards quality performance, and what do you get? The chance to push the limits every single day.
As a humble family business that started on the banks of the Dubai Creek in the 1930s, Al-Futtaim has expanded to a presence in 31 countries, a portfolio of over 200 companies, and 42,000 employees. You’ll find us in industries ranging from automotive and retail, to finance and real estate, and connecting people with international names like Lexus, Ikea, Robinsons, and Adidas. Our team is proudly multicultural and multinational because that kind of diverse representation gives us the global mindset to grow and impact the people, markets, and trends around us.
About Al-Futtaim IKEA
We are a values-driven company with a passion for life at home. Our vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people.
Al-Futtaim IKEA holds the franchise rights for IKEA in Egypt, Oman, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.
You have the ability to priorities and organize own work in order to make the most efficient use of time available. You are responsible to ensure that customer & co-worker safety is upheld to the highest standards and the store standard operating procedures are adhered to at all times. You have the ability to work in a fast retail environment. You are enthusiastic about assignments and working with others in a team.
What’s more, we believe that you have the following knowledge, capabilities and motivation:
Live and share the IKEA values every day
- Degree in Occupational Health & Safety or NEBOSH with OSHAD
- 5+ years’ experience in the Health & Safety field, preferably in the retail sector
- Management experience
- Safety and security competence
- Strong and proven leadership track record
- Proven change driving experience
- Ability to assess risk in potentially hazardous situations and act appropriately
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work and able to operate outside of normal working hours
- Maintain operational excellence
- Influencing a large organization to improve standards
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Presentation skills
- Conflict management skills
- Developing people
- Ability to inspire and clarify
About the role
You are responsible to support the Operations Manager and Management Team in ensuring a safe and secure environment and in protecting our assets and the IKEA brand. To maintain an overall risk aware and control culture.
Ensure the Operations Manager and Management team advised with the specialist knowledge to fulfil their duties in line with the OSHAD Act, Group Risk Manual and IKEA H&S policies. You proactively drive the culture of 'safety first' and influence the organization to view safety as a key part of standard operating procedures. Ensure that all safety legislations adhered to and policies and practices adopted and help to plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures.
Key Specific Accountabilities
Secure excellence in risk handling by:
- Drive the Safety and Security agenda by using the Operational Risk Management Process (root cause analysis, influencing factors, decision making process
- Initiate and perform risk assessments on Safety and Security matters
- Ensure a proactive approach to Safety and Security Risk Management where risks are considered at an early stage and handled as an integrated part of the business
- Accountable for the internal and external securing of the unit
- To coach, develop and educate all co-workers and external partners to ensure they comply with the OSHAD Act, Group Risk Manual and the IKEA H&S policy.
- Responsible for planning the Emergency Response Group in order to minimize the effect of 'major incidents' on the business
- Accountable for investigating internal and external incidents and recommending resolution and revision of routines as necessary
- Develop and communicate an annual action plan. To monitor and evaluate the success of this plan in order to influence future plans
- To effectively utilize all available risk tools including SEC check, CCTV and Incident Reporting System and other internal and external data to analyze the results of all risks to the business.
- To work with the appropriate managers to reduce the potential of future occurrences and escalate issues where appropriate
- Contribute to IKEA development by supporting national expansion projects. To build key relationships with external bodies in order to champion IKEA within the local community
- Effectively manage and inspire your team, with particular reference to their selection, training and development in order to ensure you have a competent and well informed team who can meet our customer needs and expectations and have in place a workable and realistic succession plan
- Manage costs under the risk team and work with the Leadership Team to maximize efficiency of spend without impacting on levels of service to the customer of Safety standards
- Ensure the First Aid facility always fully ready to support incase of need by keeping
Accurate inventory and regular follow-up to ensure there is enough first aiders are
available throughout Operation.
- Review and monitor daily and monthly KPIs and analyse reports on various measurable factors against benchmarked figures (i.e. Manpower productivity, Lost time injury, etc.) Working with the team to create meaningful actions to achieve agreed goals
- Controlling costs through working in a lean, simple, cost-conscious way using good examples and solutions, and encouraging the team and colleagues to discover more effective ways of working
- Assisting to Operation team to procure cost effective proposals.
People Management and Development
- Conduct assessments of co-workers HSE competence and act accordingly based on the results.
- Manpower planning. Prepare plans, set productivities and supervise the operations team to ensure highest levels of work efficiency within the budgeted productivities, motivation and control all the budgeted cost.
- Scheduling for the operations department. Create and submit a schedule for the maintenance department based on the coverage needed for peak and non peak sales day. Plan annual leave for the department based on the commercial calendar.
- Conduct Performance development reviews and develop/create action plans based on the outcomes for the HSM team
#LI - Post 19
A few more things for you
Interest? Then please join us for a rewarding career journey!
We are here to provide excellent service but a little help from you can ensure a five-star candidate experience from start to finish.
Before you click, “apply”: Please read the job description carefully to ensure you can confidently demonstrate why this opportunity is right for you and take the time to put together a well-crafted and personalised CV to further boost your visibility. Our global Talent Acquisition team members are all assigned to specific businesses to ensure that we make the best matches between talent and opportunities. We not only consider the requisite compatibility of skills and behaviours, but also how candidates align with our Values of Respect, Integrity, Collaboration, and Excellence.
As part of our candidate experience promise, we also want to make ourselves available to you throughout the application process. We make every effort to review and respond to every application.