The IKEA vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. We do this by offering a wide range of well-designed, functional home furnishing products at prices so low that as many people as possible can afford them.
Ikano Group has already carried out market and distribution studies relating to the establishment of IKEA stores in Mexico. Inter IKEA Systems B.V. (the owner of the IKEA Concept and worldwide IKEA franchisor) has allocated the market of Mexico to us.
We have an office in Mexico City since April 2017 and are determined to bring a little bit of Sweden to Mexico.
IKEA Mexico is currently looking for a strong Customs Manager that will perform several functions especially at the early stage of our project and later on based on our growth will eventually lead the country customs team in accordance with “Leading business & people together”, ensure the right competence level, meeting current and future business needs. You wlill be accountable for country import and export customs related activities, securing efficient customs compliance controls with internal and external partners.
More specifically you will:
- Take active part in the development of the Mexico customs import landscape and provide support in the implementation of a customs strategy for the entire country while providing customs and trade expertise to the IKEA co-workers.
- Report to Logistics Management team and to IKEA of Sweden Customs Contact Centre on a timely manner any relevant customs legislation that may have an impact to IKEA Mexico.
- Benchmark and set up dialogue with other retailers and relevant groups in order to keep learning and implementing best practices and pro-actively find opportunities to influence customs policies and regulations.
- Team up with Logistics, Finance and other pertaining departments to proactively identify potential non-compliance customs issues along the import process.
- Develop training platforms for the Customs Team in accordance with "The Human Resources Idea", in order to secure competence development along IKEA, the Customs department being the main focus.
- Support the IKEA Mexico Service Office common and individual annual business plan, follow up and deliver agreed results.
- Interface on a daily basis with other IKEA departments impacted by Customs including (but not limited to) Logistics, Finance, legal, etc.. and create an network overall with all the right speaking partners in the Mexico organization in order to predict workload based on flow variations and act accordingly.
- Responsible for implementation, documentation and follow-up local and global directives, Standard Operational Procedures and Working Methods related to customs and other relevant IKEA subjects.
- Lead customs audits including entry data, IKEA mandated Working Methods and Standard Operational Procedures.
- Responsible for securing dynamic matrix working relations with the Finance Department in order to proactively report import duties, drawbacks, budget calculations, etc…
- Develop Key Performance indicators to supervise and manage the entire customs department, including brokers/forwarder’s performance in order to secure a compliant import process to contribute to make available the most competitive price for the many in Mexico.
- Monitor local rules and legislations related with import and export, analyse and communicate with stakeholders on potential business impact in due time.
- Education – University degree or higher
- Proficiency in English (verbal and written) with solid negotiating skills in English and Spanish languages
- Passionate for Scandinavian furniture
- Deep knowledge in import and export related rules and regulations
- Experience dealing with government authorities
- 10 years + experience in Mexican Customs
- Previous involvement in the Logistics field including warehousing, transport, distribution, E-Commerce
This position offers a rare opportunity to be part of the establishment of IKEA in a whole new market. You will get a chance to push boundaries and influence the direction of IKEA in Mexico. All as part of a caring and open culture where we live our values, work hard, have fun and operate with a long-term perspective. Because here opportunities arise and growth follows.